Friday, September 16, 2016

On the GWARpath


I featured my new portrait of Oderus Urungus, former lead singer of the theatrical metal band GWAR, on my Facebook art page this week. In my description, I expounded on my first experience at a GWAR concert in the early 1990’s. I had the privilege of seeing them two more times after that; each concert leaving an equally lasting impression. Although I don’t lay claim to being a bohab, an honor bestowed upon only the most rabid of GWAR fans, I’m definitely a fan and have been for quite some time. I had entertained the idea of painting the band back then but it never materialized.

During the creation of “13 Months of Horror” in 2015, a mutual fan of both GWAR and myself named Chris wrote to me and asked if I would consider designing Oderus Urungus, former lead singer of GWAR. I told him that it was an excellent idea but it would have to remain on my plate for a while as I still had a large task ahead of me. In December 2015, I designed several OSI 74 hosts including GWAR manager Sleazy P. Martini, host of Sleazy Pictures after Dark, a must-see excursion into the realm of classic, sleazy exploitation flicks; I’m a huge fan of his show but I digress. Chris dug my portrait of Sleazy and I assured him there would be more to come.

 

A while back, I was talking to my good friend Jerry Moore AKA Karlos Borloff and he mentioned how he would like to see me design GWAR. I told him that it was something I had considered but would like the band to get involved. Jerry told me he would see what he could do and presented the idea to Don Drakulich AKA Sleazy P. Martini. A couple of days later, I got a call from Don and we discussed the possibility of a GWAR character gallery. He suggested that I design one member, send it to him, and he would present it to the band. This seemed the perfect time to pay tribute to Oderus.
 

 

I emailed Don my finished portrait and awaited his answer. He got back to me last Saturday and said that the band loved the piece but they didn’t have a project to work with me on at this time; however, he said that the band would be willing to extend licensing rights to me. Needless to say, I’m ecstatic and eager to begin my GWAR gallery. It has always been a dream of mine to be a rock artist and design my favorite musicians, so now thanks to the suggestion of one loyal GWAR fan and the help of my friend Jerry Moore, my dream is coming true.

Now I’m on the GWARpath so get ready, more badass GWARtwork is coming your way soon… maybe I can consider myself to be a bohab after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment